Do you know food and love the excitement of being in the kitchen preparing something amazing? The Cooks in our communitites do too! Their role is to assist the Dining Services Director (Executive Chef) in serving our residents amazingly delicious meals, in their home. They also support the creation and execution of our signature dining services programs. These culinary team members provide friendly, responsive service to create an exceptional and memorable dining experience for all of our residents. We serve Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner as well as two snacks, seven days a week. No late nights or super early mornings!
This position often grows into leadership opportunities at our communitites through following in the steps of the Dining Services Director. In 2015, Commonwealth won a “Best Practice Award” from the Virginia Assisted Living Association for our Farm to Table Program. In 2016, one of our Dining Services Directors won the “Outstanding Caregiver Award. View her story here VALA 2016 Dimond Award Winner
• Professional diploma or food services management experience required.
• Minimum 1 year of cooking experience required.
• Working experience in the retirement home industry preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of food and catering trends, quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation required.
• Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling required.
• Ability to lift up to 50lb required.
• Effective communication skills.
• Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
• Highly effective teamwork skills.
• Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel and e-mail required.
• Attention to detail in all areas of work.
• Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
• Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
• Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
· Caring about people. Previous work with seniors would be fantastic!
· Drive for doing the right thing and seeing things through to the end
· Passionate about a job well done, having fun, and celebrating success
· Confident to speak up
· Great listener
· Takes ownership and adds value – seeks to improve something every single day!
· Consistently exhibits respect in all interactions
· Ability and desire to provide exceptional customer service
· Serve Safe Certification and previous line-cook experience in the food service industry would be ideal