The overall purpose of the Maintenance Assistant position is to assist the Maintenance Director in the overall maintenance of the community's physical plant. This position must perform electrical, plumbing, carpentry, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration and other technical tasks, as well as ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal life-safety code regulations.
- Performs routine maintenance on grounds, parking areas, driveway, etc. by mowing, weed-eating, trimming, policing, sweeping, mulching, etc. as necessary.
- Performs routine maintenance and repair on the facility and equipment to include plumbing, plastering, and electrical, carpentry, mechanical, etc., as directed, and in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintains safe operating and fire prevention practices.
- Maintains general plant and facility in good repair, ensuring a safe, clean and orderly environment.
- Replaces burned out light bulbs to include exit lights, overhead lights, fluorescent lights, room call lights, etc., and performs housekeeping duties in very high places.
- Services heating and cooling systems, as specified by the manufacturer, and in compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Ensures maintenance supplies have been replenished in work areas as necessary.
- Repairs emergency breakdowns in the shortest possible time.
- Cooperates with other staff members to maintain a safe environment for residents, visitors and employees.
- Prepares vacant rooms to a rent-ready condition within 72 hours of a move-out.
- Advises the Executive Director of any areas of concern relative to wear and tear of the building, needs for cleaning and deodorizing of furniture, carpeting, etc.
- Inspects, maintains and tests fire alarm and emergency systems in accordance with established policies and procedures. Maintains appropriate records of test results.
- Initiates and maintains a program of all-over efficiency designed to eliminate waste and reduce operating expenses.
- Maintains the heating and cooling systems in proper working conditions, as specified by the manufacturer. Prior to the onset of seasonal changes, inspects the systems for loose wires, broken lines, leaks, etc., and pre-starts system to ensure proper working order.
- Maintains repair logs and provides for corrective action in a timely manner.
- Maintains drain, access areas, grease traps, waste areas and mechanical rooms.
- Provide transportation for residents as directed by Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned
- The Maintenance Assistant is a highly active position, requiring long stretches (over 75% of the time) on ones' feet. The position requires a highly active individual, willing to tackle a variety of physical tasks throughout the community.
• Must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in a maintenance related position.
• Must be able to read, write and speak the English language.
• Must possess a high school diploma or general education degree (GED).
• Must know how to use a wide variety of maintenance equipment as necessary tools of performing the job.
• Must have knowledge of mechanical, electrical, refrigeration, and building and fire safety codes.
• Must demonstrate skills in all phases of building and equipment maintenance, cleanliness and repairs.
• Experience working in with a senior/geriatric population a plus.
• A true customer service, friendly attitude and demeanor when dealing with staff, Resident, management and families.
• Willingness to be on call during emergency situations as the building operates 24 hours, 7 days per week.
PI97956512 Job Type:
Commonwealth Assisted LivingCompany Description:
On January 18th 2002, our Founder and CEO, Richard J. Brewer, celebrated both the birth of his daughter, and the birth of a new company. Beginning with just three communities that year, Commonwealth Assisted Living has grown in both size and scope to 20 communities as of 2014, and become Virginia\'s premier provider of Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care. Mr. Brewer has been in the senior housing industry for almost 20 years. He has been intimately involved in the company\'s growth & development.
With our Home Office located in Charlottesville, Virginia, our leadership team is within a four-hour driving radius of every one of our communities. Our entire team is dedicated to provide high-quality housing, personal care and comprehensive services that are responsive to the needs and preferences of residents and their families. Since acquiring our first community, we have grown to become one of the largest providers of assisted living services in the state of Virginia with a combined capacity of over 1,300 residents. 15 of our assisted living communities already offer our specialized Alzheimer\'s/dementia program, Sweet Memories™, and more growth is on the horizon. Our purpose is to provide optimum resident care with the most efficient operation possible. We have implemented many successful programs that have resulted in enhanced resident care and consistent compliance with regulatory standards.
Our communities proudly display Commonwealth\'s Core Values Statement, outlining the key elements and actions that will attribute to resident satisfaction and the success of our communities as well as our organization as a whole. They read: “We CARE about people. We DO the right thing. We are passionate, have fun, and CELEBRATE success. We SPEAK UP! It\'s our responsibility. We take OWNERSHIP and ADD value in all we do. We are RESPECTFUL.” At Commonwealth Assisted Living, we care about our residents and their families in the same way we care about each other.
In order to apply for this job, please click on the Apply button